Main content


PLEASE DO NOT CALL FOR STATUS OF APPLICATIONS. Thank you for your patience. We will notify you by a postcard when your application is received, and then again by postcard or email with the dollar amount when we have processed your application. From that point, The process could take an additional 8-10 weeks for the State to credit your water account. Please remember we are a non emergency program.

LIHWAP is a temporary, federally-funded, COVID-relief program to help low-income households with a one-time payment on their water or sewage bill, which may have accrued during any time frame. Assistance is in the form of a direct payment to the participating water or wastewater service. Eligibility is based on the household’s total monthly income, which cannot exceed the income guidelines below. Applicants can apply simultaneously to LIHWAP and the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). The program ends on March 31, 2024 or when federal funds have been depleted, whichever comes first. 


Enrolled water service systems in Alameda County:

  • Alameda County Water District (ACWD)
  • California Water Service
  • Dublin San Ramon Services District
  • East Bay Municipal Utilities District (EBMUD)
  • Hayward Water System
  • Livermore, City of
  • Pleasanton, City of
  • Suburban Water Systems
2024 LIHWAP Gross Income Guidelines*
Size of Household Total Combined Monthly Income Total Combined Annual Income
1 $2,882.83 $34,593.96
2 $3,769.82 $45,237.84
3 $4,656.83 $55,881.96
4 $5,543.92 $66,527.04
5 $6,430.92 $77,171.04
6 $7,317.92 $87,815.04
7 $7,484.25 $89,811.00
8 $7,650.58 $91,806.96
9 $7,816.92 $93,803.04
10 $7,983.17 $95,798.04

What the program offers:

One-time payment on overdue water or sewage bill until March 31, 2024.

Applicants must:

  • Live in Alameda County in an area served by a water or wastewater agency that is a registered participant of LIHWAP
  • Be past due on water or sewage bill
  • Provide proof of monthly income for the entire household (see table below)
  • Provide proof of government-issued ID

How to Apply:


See the Utility Services Materials page.


Apply online at


See Application Pick-up Locations


Talk to a staff member at

Please MAIL your completed application and required documentation to:
Spectrum Community Services
P.O. Box 4317
Hayward, CA 94540

For households larger than ten, please call Spectrum for more information.
*Income before taxes are deducted.